The Citizendium Project, articulated in the essay Toward a New Compendium of Knowledge, is an effort to build a "better" Wiki by combining the wealth of information within Wikipedia with expert oversight and editorial contribution.
- The Citizendium (sit-ih-ZEN-dee-um), a "citizens' compendium of everything," will be an experimental new wiki project that combines public participation with gentle expert guidance. It will begin life as a "progressive fork" of Wikipedia. But we expect it to take on a life of its own and, perhaps, to become the flagship of a new set of responsibly-managed free knowledge projects. We will avoid calling it an "encyclopedia," because there will probably always be articles in the resource that have not been vouched for in any sense.
We believe a fork is necessary, and justified, both to allow regular people a place to work under the direction of experts, and in which personal accountability--including the use of real names--is expected. In short, we want to create a responsible community and a good global citizen.
- -from The Citizendium Project website
- The Citizendium Project website
- Toward a New Compendium of Knowledge
- Sanger forks Wikipedia from Nicholas Carr's blog Rough Type
- Wikipedia co-founder plans 'expert' rival from C|Net
- 2007: The year of the "expert wiki"? from Ars (1.12.07)
- Citizendium: building a better Wikipedia FROM aRS (2.25.07)
- Wikipedia rival makes its debut from C|Net (3.26.07)